Homemade Shepherds Pie
- 1 knob of goats butter
- 1 large onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 500g/17½oz lean beef mince
- 2 tbsp Gluten Free Flour
- 500ml/17½fl oz beef stock
- 300ml/10½fl oz cold water
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- splash Worcestershire Sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the Goats Butter in a large deep lidded pan over a medium heat and gently fry the onion, celery and carrots for 7-8 minutes, or until the onions are softened and lightly coloured. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the beef mince to the pan and cook with the vegetables for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meat is browned all over.
- sprinkle over the flour and stir well for a few minutes to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Gradually add the beef stock to the pan, then add the cold water, tomato purée and dried herbs. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, then cover with the lid and cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mince is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season with a splash of Worcestershire sauce and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the heat, spoon into a 1.5 litre/2 pints 13fl oz ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Half-fill a large pan with cold water. Add the potatoes and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Drain the potatoes, Add the butter, milk and cheese and mash until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the mash over the mince mixture in the ovenproof dish, working towards the middle from the outside. Smooth with a palette knife. When all the mince is covered with mash, create patterns on the surface using a fork.
- Place the dish on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for around 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden-brown and the filling is bubbling up around the edges.